Talking about a #LifeWellTravelled, in collaboration with Cathay Pacific. I’m sure you’ve all caught on to the fact now that I’m a pretty seasoned traveller, I’ve got a well worn passport and a bucket load of experiences under my belt. Travelling means the world to me, it’s given me so much, so many lessons about life. It’s helped me gain an open mind and a better understanding of my place in the world and I’m so lucky and grateful for the opportunities I’ve afforded. The photos here are all taken by me – I’m still so in awe that these are some of the sights I’ve witnessed! Travelling – in what ever means you do it, totally rocks. Here are 5 reasons why:
1. Experience new cultures.
Appreciating and experiencing the way other people live helps you gain a better understanding of what it means to be human. While people live their lives uniquely all over the world, there’s a common thread of compassion and love through every culture. You can learn new methods of communication and find new ways to bond with people. I remember the first time I had the chance to immerse myself in a new culture was travelling to Thailand when I was 15. I went on a trip with 3 of my school friends on a commemorative tour, along with a group of Australian Ex-POW’s from WW2. We heard first hand stories about their experiences – and they shared how their connection with the local Thai people was what helped them survive their horrific trials. Growing up in a small town I was very sheltered from seeing the different ways people around the world live their lives – in this way, things I didn’t understand, also became things I feared. It was this trip that made me aware of that common thread we share as humans – that people can connect and help one another no matter how we live our lives. It gave me a new appreciation for the varied beauty of culture.
The more you broaden your horizons with travel, the better you can understand what makes a life rich, people and experiences. The value of your possessions can take a back seat to learning and experiencing what the world has to offer. I’m sure you can probably see, I’m guilty of having alot of clothes and nice things – and I’m grateful for that! But nice possessions aren’t wonderful memories – and when I reflect on my life, I don’t recall how much that one Alexander Wang handbag contributed to my life – more like… how great was that sunset? How awesome was it to listen to music with that loyal friend in this exotic location? How much did I laugh when this hilarious thing happened on that train journey to wherever? I’m actually so blasé about my possessions these days, i tend to give away things to anyone who’ll take them – because so often our possessions can hold us back from being mobile. If I accidentally lose something, I won’t batt an eyelid because I’d rather enjoy my current circumstance than work myself over something that can’t be retrieved. Travel has given me this perspective and my happiness thanks me for it.
Planning at the last minute, taking chances and going with the flow are all part of the fun when it comes to visiting somewhere new. You never know what unexpected thrill could be right around the corner. I remember when Jess (Tuula) and I were travelling in Europe, we were staying in Amsterdam and planning to do some sightseeing. I was researching the cost of train tickets in the local area and I spotted a discount on trains to Berlin, leaving the following morning. We both spontaneously decided to travel for two nights to Germany and on that trip, we made some really cool friends and had an unforgettable time. Maybe it was the spontaneity that made it so exciting! Either way, I’m so glad we took the chance.
4. Gain perspective.
Sometimes it takes stepping outside your comfort zone and immersing yourself in a new culture to really understand what things in your own life mean the most to you. Travelling keeps you calibrated – the diversity of life is a varied and wonderful thing and the better you understand that, the less you can get caught up on the small stuff. I love making new connections when I’m travelling, whether it be the taxi driver at the airport, a busker on the street, that person you sit next to on an aeroplane, that girl working a stall on the street. These people all have lives that are so unique – and wherever people come from – there’s always some happiness or goodness to be shared. It’s these connections that put life in perspective and are reminder than everyone has trials – but to search for the positivity is the key for happiness itself.
5. Gain life experience.
Putting yourself in unfamiliar surrounds can so often mean you’re challenged in ways you don’t expect and you’ll meet people you wouldn’t normally cross paths with. Authentic travel experiences can change who you are, they can give your strength and help you see the world in a new light. If there’s one thing travel has taught me – it’s to be more organised – because stress hinders your ability to see the most positive part of any situation.
My years of travelling the world have shaped the person I’ve become today. It`s for this reason I’ve teamed up with Cathay Pacific to share yet another amazing experience, not only through my site but with one you, up close and personal. What I’m saying is – on of my favourite airlines Cathay Pacific are giving one of you the chance to come along with me on the trip of a life time to the incredible and colourful city of Hong Kong!!!
And don’t worry. Cathay has made sure we’re travelling in style. From the flight (the flight start of with being served a glass of champagne!) to the three nights at the glamorous Peninsula Hotel – I am so excited to take you here!
To enter the competition – meaning experience Hong Kong with me! – show me your most recent adventure by uploading it (or them!) onto your Instagram and/or Facebook account and hashtag #lifewelltravelled as well as me on @zanitazanita. I will announce a winner on April 8. Best of luck!
What do you win?
An unforgettable trip to Hong Kong from 5-8 May 2015, including:
- Return Premium Economy tickets for two adults Sydney to Hong Kong.
- 3 nights accommodation at The Peninsula Hong Kong, daily Traditional Peninsula Breakfast in The Looby and round trip Rolls-Royce airport transfers.
- Peninsula Academy “Dim Sum Cooking Class”: learn to make Chinese dim sum with our dim sum chef in the kitchen of our signature Cantonese restaurant, Spring Moon.
- Culinary Journey at the Peninsula Hong Kong: experience all our 4 signature restaurants in 1 night, starting from The Lobby, Spring Moon, then going to the French fine-dining restaurant Gaddi´s and enjoy dessert at Felix, our modern European restaurant designed by renowned designer Philippe Starck and enjoys the stunning Victoria Harbour view from the 28/F”
1. Entries must be made via Instagram or the participating bloggers Facebook page to qualify. Participating bloggers are: Zanita (@zanitazanita), A Table for Two (@billy.law), D’Marge (@dmarge), Harper & Harley (@harperandharley) and What Katie Ate (#whatkatieate). 2. Entries close 11.59pm AEST 7th April 2015. 3. One entry per person, open to Australian residents only. 4. This giveaway is a game of skill. 5. Entry photos must answer the question: “What moment most encapsulates Life Well travelled to you? The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. 7. Entries must identify one of the bloggers above using their Instagram handle [e.g. @BLOGGER] and must include #lifewelltravelled 9. Entries from all blogs will be placed together in the same pool and one winner chosen, 10. The winner will be announced via Instagram (@Zanitazanita) and the Cathay Pacific Airways Facebook page. Once announced, winners must provide an email address to receive further details. 11. Cathay Pacific will be in contact after winner has been drawn with details of redeeming your prize. 12. If the winner does not reply within 7 days the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the entry judged to be the next best. 13. This competition is not administered, endorsed or sponsored by Facebook or Instagram.
For full terms and conditions, please go to http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_AU/latest-offers/other-offers/other-offers/life-well-travelled-competition-2015.html